Thursday, March 17, 2011

TASTE and see that the Lord is good. Psalm 34:8

I guess I will call this MY version of a "GREEN" St. Patrick's Day Blog. . . .

A few years ago my hubby bought me an AeroGarden for Christmas!  If you don't know what that is, its an indoor table-top apparatus that allows you to grow a "small" garden, hydroponically......YUP, NO dirt, just water.  He got it at Costco and it had enough seed starters for 2 growing seasons.  Both starters were Herb gardens, since that was my latest craze, that I could grow some fresh herbs in the house for use in cooking, etc.

Official AeroGarden website


So, I got it all set up and started.  AND boy did the stuff grow!  Within a few weeks I had Oregano, Mint, Basil, Chives, Thyme and Dill all over my kitchen table!  I used the basil and oregano for some italian dishes.......chopped up the chives to sprinkle on things......used the thyme too, and chopped up the dill to make some dill sauce for fish!  My cats loved the chives......Princess kept chewing them down, so they didn't last long.  After most of them were finished, or I had chopped them down, I tried potting the basil outside....the basil was still going strong.  But the plant never took.  In the AeroGarden the roots are hanging in the water and tend to mingle with the other plants.....so you literally have to "rip" them up to separate them.

Well, that season of herbs was done so I put the thing away for awhile.

This past Christmas, after all my basil in my garden died in the frosts (sniff . . . you should have seen the 3 HUGE plants I had ), I decided to plant the last herb set I had and get the AeroGarden out again!


Since the seed starter kit had been sitting for over a year I was not sure what would come up, but nearly all of it did!  The chives came up rather feebily, and the cats munched them down . . . . sad, veeeeery sad.  The dill never made it . . . but the rest, well you can see for yourself!

GANGBUSTERS! ! ! !

Basil is such a hearty grower!  it is in the back on the left in the above pic....oregano is front and center, with mint directly behind.  Those two herbs are from the same family, and look remarkably similar.  Thyme is on the left in the front.  It got crowded out of light by the basil plant behind it early on, so it never has taken off really well.  The pic below shows from the left side, the basil is on the left.




I keep pinching them all off, and moving the light up higher, and they keep growing!  I just have to find a use for the mint . . . .  The basil is going to go into some hummus I am making this afternoon! YUM!

Yes, I am a gardener, and my garden outside is doing rather nicely as well!  See the beets!


There are more where those came from !  My pepper plants, green and sweet, took a beeting (HA HA! no pun intended), but are coming back at the base.....and my carrots are doing well also.  I have a very old garlic chive plant, almost 2 years old now, that I transplanted from one end of the garden to the other, and it is coming along nicely as welll....they are very hearty growers, frost tolerant too, and good at transplanting.  Not sure if I have a picture of my garden handy......let me look......nope.  Well, I am soon to be planting some stuff in the garden and when I do there will be some pix!

But, doing the AeroGarden again made me want to get another seed starter kit, since I needed some more grow lights to finish this set of herbs off anyway....so I went online to order something.  I have a salad starter kit coming, which will be great to plant inside over the hottest part of our summer, when salad greens don't typically do well outside!

Stay tuned for more gardening news, both indoor and out!  and God Bless!

1 comment:

  1. I ♥ it! Are you going to transplant the basil outside? if you have too much you know where to take some (wink). I'm planting my garden today or tomorrow. I found some lettuce seeds and I'm going to see if they will grow? who knows.....

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...